Monday, August 10, 2015

Classroom Tools: "Breaking the Ice" ...

Clip-art Credit:


Write an Opening-Day Letter

I love this idea!

What to do:
Write a letter to your students. In that letter, introduce yourself to students. Tell them about your hopes for the new school year and some of the fun things you'll be doing in class. Also, tell students a few personal things about yourself; for example, your likes and dislikes, what you did over the summer, and your hobbies. I might even share some of my old class photos. (It will give them a laugh!) Ask questions throughout the letter. You might ask what students like most about school, what they did during the summer, and what their goals for the new school year are, or what they are really good at.

{For my group this year, I am looping up to 5th with them. Since I had them all year as 4th graders, we know each other pretty well. I still want to take the time to catch up, so I am going to write a letter about what I did over the summer and include who I saw from the class over the summer and where!}
I am going to project my letter on the big screen and have the student write back and share their letters about their summers!


Want to know more about students?

Try a student survey.  This one asks students to share their preferences regarding classroom environment and gives the teacher a chance to get to know the social and emotional needs of the students before class work begins.

This is a student survey designed to help you to “get to know” your new students. It’s the quiz the students cannot fail!
 

Its multiple choice format makes it easy for all students to participate.
 
It asks the students questions about their attitudes and feelings towards school in an effort to reveal their thoughts and provides information for goal setting.
 

All About Me~Back to School Student Survey



I hope you enjoying the last few days of summer vacation! 
Wishing you the best,
Shannon 





No comments:

Post a Comment